22 August 2011

We are not in Williamsburg Anymore

Posted by vanessaremmers under: Summer 2011 .

One of my final days as a Reporting Intern at Talk Radio News Service consisted of covering a press conference of Congressional Republicans banding together to blast President Obama for threatening non-payment of Social Security checks if the debt ceiling were not raised by August 2nd and a budget compromise not struck. It was one of those rare moments in the political world when partisan arguments reverse themselves in order to remain in opposition to the other party. I seized such a moment to create an article lede my supervisor thought worthy enough to publish:

“Republicans from both chambers banded together Thursday to argue something out of the ordinary in light of recent debt negotiations: there is plenty of money.

At least for social security.”

At the head of the Republican gang was Virginian Republican Congressman Eric Cantor. Hearing him speak, the moment became more than just political intrigue. Of course, the words rang with the partisan banter I had heard since day one. The first day my eyes may have grown big with all of this emotional language, but, by my last assignment, my political filter was well in tact.

Yet this particular assignment offered more than just further practice for my political filter. It served as a milestone in my internship experience. I was listening to a Virginia Senator responding to the pressures of the debt negotiations, knowing that by the end of the day such news will play on local news channels around my home. Even this lowly intern at the bottom of the media food chain felt like she was making a difference. Political filters aside, providing the news of the most relevant discussions of the day affected change; I was at the front lines of political battles, a place I had only dreamed about before. In all, it was a perfect moment for my last week in Washington, DC.

2 Comments so far...

cedalessio Says:

23 August 2011 at 11:29 am.

This sounds really cool! Political journalism can be really tough because a lot of issues are really complicated and the average person simply doesn’t understand their complexities. It can be tough to present issues in an interesting way that people can understand, but obviously you’re mastering that skill.

rebrooks Says:

27 August 2011 at 4:45 pm.

This sounds like an amazing opportunity to observe politics first-hand and make a difference. It is wonderful that you feel less susceptible to politicians’ attempts at emotional appeal. Interning for Talk Radio News Service seems like an educational and valuable experience!

Summer Interns