23 August 2011

My Summer Internship- Part 3

Posted by cedalessio under: Summer 2011 .

For my final post, I thought I’d talk a little bit about meals in Washington.  My dorm room had a small kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave, and stovetop.  However, my cooking repertoire is extremely limited.  I can make a couple basic meals, but nothing spectacular.  Given my limited cooking repertoire and since I was only going to be in Washington for about seven weeks, I decided against lugging a bunch of pots, pans, and other cooking supplies to Washington.  Instead, all I brought was a small frying pan and a spatula.  But despite my limited cooking talents, I also knew that if I went out to eat for every single meal, I would burn through a ton of money really quickly.   

So, what exactly did I do for meals while I was in Washington?  Basically, I tried to keep things as simple as possible.  As soon as I got to Washington, I bought a ton of plastic bowls and silverware.  I also bought food for breakfast and lunch.  I made my own breakfast and lunch everyday, which definitely kept my food costs down.  For dinner, I occasionally made something in my room, but most of the time, I went out.  Foggy Bottom has lots of places to eat that were within easy walking distance of my dorm and I definitely took advantage.  I also discovered that Trader Joe’s has an excellent selection of frozen dinners.  Not only was there a large selection, but the meals were also cheap, and pretty good. 

I really enjoyed my time in Washington.  I learned a lot from my internship and had a fantastic time both at work and in my spare time.  I am very thankful to the Congressional office where I interned for giving me the opportunity to work at the office.  I am also very thankful to the sponsors of my scholarship, which was a tremendous help.  With my senior year approaching, I can say with confidence that I would love to work in Washington upon graduation.

One Comment so far...

tedeatley18 Says:

24 August 2011 at 4:44 pm.

Cooking during your internship experience sounds a lot like cooking in college…simple and limited, I can completely relate!

Summer Interns