12 September 2011

My Life as an Intern

Posted by cmdowns under: Summer 2011 .

My internship is off to a great start and I am really enjoying the team I have been assigned to work with. Unfortunately, due to the nature of my work I can’t get into too many specifics since there are certain security rules I must adhere to but I will tell you what I can and give you some of my insights. I will say that William and Mary has prepared me extremely well for my internship and put me in a position where I can truly contribute to my organization.

The Department of Defense, for obvious reasons, puts a great emphasis on helping keep our troops safe and protecting the nation and I really feel like there is a common sense of purpose among the people who work here. Everyone strongly believes that our goal is to serve the people of the United States and provide for the good of our fellow citizens.

Two of the projects I am working on are fairly interesting and have me doing the same sort of work other employees are doing. Some of it is doing research or writing reports while at other times I sit in on team meetings and discuss how to move forward on a particular project. I also get to help conduct interviews of subject matter experts to help us learn more about the issues we are tackling. The third project I am working on is a bit more boring and basically involves a lot of time in excel but I know that I will be making things a lot easier for my fellow employees when I leave.

I’m learning a lot and there are so many opportunities for professional development. There are classes I can take online or events that I can attend to learn about a variety of subjects. Even outside of my internship there are tons of events in DC that are both educational and enjoyable. If you ever intern in DC be sure to take advantage of everything that the city has to offer, you want to make the most of your summer!

7 Comments so far...

carpet cleaning west london Says:

15 September 2011 at 11:25 am.

Great blog…

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my cousin were just preparing to do a little research about this. We grabbed a book from our local library but I think I learned better from this post. I’m very glad to see such great information being shared …

ebay japan Says:

18 September 2011 at 6:15 am.

Superb blog…

Hiya, I am really glad I’ve found this info. Today bloggers publish only about gossip and net stuff and this is actually annoying. A good site with exciting content, that’s what I need. Thank you for making this website, and I will be visiting again….

Sugar Daddy Says:

18 September 2011 at 10:23 am.

……

Good day. Very cool web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally…I’m happy to find a lot of helpful info here in the article. Thank you for sharing…..

flatshare Says:

19 September 2011 at 3:52 am.

……

Whats up. Very cool web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your site and take the feeds additionally…I’m glad to locate so much helpful info here within the article. Thank you for sharing……

Fly Screens For Windows Says:

19 September 2011 at 5:16 am.

Superb blog…

Hiya, I’m really glad I’ve found this information. Today bloggers publish only about gossip and web stuff and this is actually irritating. A good blog with exciting content, this is what I need. Thank you for making this web site, and I’ll be visiti…

Wire Racks Says:

19 September 2011 at 5:47 am.

appears to be great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to visit later….

Mpanieres times Says:

19 September 2011 at 6:00 am.

Great blog…

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my friend were just preparing to do a little research on this. We got a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such great info being shared freely out there…

Summer Interns