12 September 2011

Simple equals accessible

Posted by tedeatley18 under: Uncategorized .

In my final blog post I want to discuss the biggest take away I had during my diabetes internship this summer. Working on the construction of DiabetesLocal.org really opened my eyes to the power of Internet based health. In this day and age humans are becoming increasingly dependent on technology. While I refuse to take a stance on the appropriateness of our continued reliance on the cyber world; I do think that there is a lot of potential to improve how the Internet displays and provides information.

When I first started my internship, my supervisor emphasized that Baby-boomers and older generations are not technically savvy. My parents are a testament to that statement, however, Baby-boomer’s have the highest prevalence rate of diabetes than any other generational group. My supervisor explained the importance of making diabetes local user-friendly for that very reason – the people using the site found computers to be daunting and confusing!

So why harp on the future of Internet based health? Since the Internet is free and becoming increasingly accessible across the United States, individuals who may not live in urban areas can find information and resources they need without physically traveling to find answers about the disease that he/she might be suffering from. If more sites focused on being simple rather then flashy, the computer might not seem like a foreign object an older population.

Many of us (myself included) take for granted how easy it is to search and find information on the computer. DiabetesLocal tries to cut out the middle man and provide services and contact information based on an individual’s home town. I truly feel that this type of search engine has a bright future for any number of diseases. The Internet can very well be the future of credible health information and resources, but it is our job to make websites interactive and simple for everyone to use.

Summer Interns